Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Remembering...

Today I was going through some old CDs that I burned into MP3s way, way back in the day and I came across this song - well, actually, I came across every one of Michael Jackson's songs - Wow, he was GREAT back then... you know, in the 80's -




I read today that February is the 25th anniversary of the Thriller album! Wow... So I had to listen to every MJ song I have (Garhett kept bugging me about it...)

Listening to the music of Michael Jackson made me remember back to the ol' gang that used to hang out - in particular a really good friend - Kevin Terrell. Back then he & I, and a few more friends would work all day, then go out dancing ALL NIGHT - every night if we could -

Yeah, that's one of my dirty little secrets - I love dancing (well I used to love it more when I was younger - I get winded now... suck's being older...) I loved dancing to the music of the 80's -

I can remember when we would go to Dillon's nightclub - yeah, I know it was next to the UCLA campus - but back then - it was more about dancing and less about school. That club was separated by floor/by age/by music - so our friends who were under 21 could go and just hang out on the lower floors - there were floors for rock music, disco music, pop & New Wave... man, that was the place to be.

Of course, when that club got old (or the next night) we would hit up Club 321 in Santa Monica, mostly a new wave club but lots of good music. Now it is a Hooters.

And of course, the king of all dance clubs was Florentine Gardens in Hollywood - yeah, I hear that today it is going to become a fire station, but back in the great ol' 80's it was the best! Another under 21 club - so the whole gang could go - It was really fun and quite memorable!

Yeah, dancing all night in my red leather Michael Jackson meets Eddie Murphy with Prince boots and Jeri-curl perm... yep, earring and all! It was so much fun! I truly miss those days and over the years I have since lost touch with the gang (some for really, really good reasons) but I often wonder what Kevin is doing today and if he ever remembers dancing to Michael Jackson, Jodi Whatley, Culture Club, Wham, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fear, gosh, so many good memories. It really is quite entertaining when you hear a rift from an old 80's song in a "new" song... I usually sing (not good at all) the original song while the new song plays - it annoys the youngsters listening to, what they think is a new song...

How about you - were you an 80's child?

Do you have firsthand knowledge of:

  • Clove Cigarettes
  • Wearing day-glow
  • Ripped sweats (like Flash dance)
  • lots of lace and tulle (like Madonna, the bangles, go-go's)
  • one glove
  • 501's with white socks and penny loafers
  • Dancing the thriller line dance - come on, you know you did it!
  • T-shirt (pastel color) under a cotton jacket with shoulder pads (Miami Vice)
  • Vans (tennis shoes)
  • Big hair, lots of hairspray
  • Flock of seagulls hair
  • break dancing
What music really brings back memories to you?

3 comments:

scmusicals said...

come on...you're holding out on us...

where are the pictures of you back in the 80's? ;)

Rick Bambrick said...

I am very... VERY glad that digital cameras were not around back then! Whew!!! Dawn threatened me tonight to find a picture, scan it in and post it...

I can't write anymore - I am shredding everything....

Will said...

dude, i keep forgeting that you and I are from the same "era."

I was totally in on that scene - Dillon's AND Florentine. That is pretty funny.

Other than the ones you listed, the following bring back memories for me:
Thompson Twins
Sapndau Ballet
Duran Duran
The Go-Go's
Berlin
New Edition
The Jets
DeBarge