Tuesday, September 04, 2007

“Awake, My Soul, and with the Sun”

Words by Thomas Ken, written in 1674 – the hymn, “Awake, My Soul, and with the Sun”. Set to a tune of Genevan Psalter’s, Old 100th, composed in 1551 and attributed to Louis Bourgeois. The same tune used as the theme song for “In Touch Ministries” by Dr. Charles Stanley. The last verse of this hymn is often sung as a Doxology in many churches. They are;

“Praise God, from whom all Blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.”

How poignant, how appropriate, how wonderful these words are for me today. You see this weekend I spent time away – with just my family [and 59 other families that were selected by the OC Girl Scout council] in the hills of Idyllwild, just above the tranquil Anza valley at the Girl Scout camp called “Camp Sherman”.

Camp Sherman is over 700 acres of campground – rustic to rural. There are cabins for use and a huge meadow for RV’s or tents. No hook-ups, completely dry camping. The facility offers a pool, 2 lakes, horse riding, archery, arts & crafts, a museum and various light sporting areas (volleyball, golf, games & Frisbee). The facility was simply beautiful, peaceful and conducive to encountering God, reconnecting with family, getting in touch with your purpose and just having fun!

I really got to relax – mostly because I was out of range of cell service and intentionally did not bring my laptop or the satellite dish. We never turned on the TV [not that we couldn’t – I did bring the generator, come on now!]. The temperatures were over 100 degrees each day – and rarely cooled off much below 85 at night. Thankfully the cloud cover and really cool lightning storms kept the ambient temperature warm-but comfortable. It was hot – but it was GREAT.

Shortly after setting up the 5th wheel the whole family went on a horseback ride. This was my first time on a horse – and now I am SURE that I was born during the wrong time… I really enjoyed myself. I rode a beauty of a horse called “Mystery”. I was the only 1st timer on that ride, but no one could tell.

I really enjoy horseback – I think we should all go back to riding them and get rid of our cars. I don’t think greenhouse gas would be such a problem. Just look at this chart!

Why the Carbon Flux in the atmosphere was far lower in the 1700-1850’s! I say, bring back horseback riding! Forget Hybrids – go with vegan-powered transportation.

Well, back to my story…

The family went to the pool later on that day and I stayed behind – I haven’t been feeling well and didn’t really know why – but I do now. I spent the afternoon sleeping, praying and meditating on God. I started feeling somewhat better and was fully recovered by Sunday.

I met up with my family at the lake that afternoon and watched my wife and kids canoe, kayak and paddle board. Great times! I joined them the next day!


This weekend I really enjoyed spending time with my God & my family and realized that my focus (life-focus) was askew. The focus should be, raising my kids to be the Christ loving, gospel spreading obedient kids that they are growing to be, by being a great father and role model.

I now understand clearly that God requires me to be a God loving, obedient servant of His – by being a FATHER first – seeking God FIRST in all things – staying focused on my faith & family – my wife & children and then my role in the church, role in my job and place in this world. For a long time now my focus has been misdirected – trying to ‘do good for God’ when all along He wanted me to do good for Him by being the man He made me to be.

Being Dad.
I feel so much better now that I have that focus.
"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he
is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6
Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NOW do you see why we should NEVER go to Lost Valley AGAIN. Why go there when you can have Camp Sherman!!!