Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympics - Love 'em...

I love the Olympics - I don't care what country they are in or what political controversy looms over the event - I love the competition, the personal stories, the frenzied pace, the seemingly ADD coverage of the events. I love all of it. I have Dish Network satellite so I can literally watch 6 channels simultaneously - whooo hooo!

My love began when I was first hired on to the Xerox corporation in 1984 and began working on the 'tiger team' that covered the Games of the XXIII Olympiad right here in Los Angeles. I had the privilege of working the diving and gymnastics events. You might remember a couple of the champions from that year - MaryLou Retton, Peter Vidmar, Bart Conner, Tim Dagget, Mitch Gaylord, Greg Louganis... just to name a few - and I was there to see it all -







1984 was the year the US earned 174 medals of which 83 were GOLD - the next highest, 20 from Romania. We rocked - and so began my love for the competition.

I also love the fact that these are people who compete to see who is the best in the world - and I truly believe that we, the United States of America have some of the best athletes in the world!

Go Team USA!

No comments: