Monday, February 25, 2008

Funeral for a Friend

This morning Dawn & I went to the funeral of a friend of mine. David James Cranford. I met Dave when he came to work at Argent Mortgage. Dave left Argent months before I did - but we kept in contact and we were friends. A couple of us had a nick-name for him, "Turd Ferguson" - what... why that name, well if you have ever seen Saturday Night Live, you will know what I am talking about. "Turd Ferguson", that's a funny name.



Dave loved that...

At the funeral, during the eulogy and while listening to the family 'storytellers' I found myself wondering about death - funerals and the like - which I am sure that many people in attendance were doing as well.

But, I had a rather distressing phone call this morning from a good friend that is struggling with some personal stuff right now - which really had me thinking about how God works in the lives of those who serve him and those who don't.

As far as I knew - from my many talks with Dave (since he sat next to me at Argent) he never really admitted to knowing who Jesus was - in fact, he commented on various occasions about how my relationship is 'good for me' but he didn't have the same relationship. I tried to plant that seed, to walk with him as did our manager, Jeff. But, Dave was a strong willed man - he would choose when he wanted.

I was very saddened to hear of his death, knowing that - for as much as I knew - Dave didn't know Jesus - and being a Christ follower, I know what that means when you die.

Dave's family (wife's family) is Mormon, but he was not. During the 'comforting words' talk at the funeral there were statements like, "Now that Dave has moved on to the next level" and when the speaker took the opportunity to tell everyone where Dave is right now, he spoke of a 'place' where the soul and body are detached from each other, until Jesus rejoins them as one. The speaker quoted scripture - but still it felt odd. Odd because it wasn't true. Dave isn't there.

Now as Christ followers I know what happens at death - but I also know that during our lives, Jesus gives us the opportunity to grow in our faith with him through trials, both good and bad. So my thoughts (and prayers) turn to my good friend who is struggling - knowing that he is in God's favor - even though it doesn't feel like it - don't you hate it when God is doing something so big in your life that when he rocks your world you try to run from it - but can't. It is during that time my Calvinism comes in handy - I know a Sovereign God and I know a God that irresistibly calls us to him (those he chooses) and I know a God that knows we are human, frail, full of sin and fault and thus only He can give us the grace we don't deserve. As humans, we are full of fault and blame and fall into sin - we trip on our sanctity robes all the time. Fall flat on our face. Sometimes even trip others around us. Or, worse yet, fall on innocent people when we trip. But you know what comforts me? Knowing Jesus Christ - and knowing that He knows me. Blessed Assurance.

So, as I sat there in the 1970's looking pew at Saddleback Chapel's Funeral's and Crematorium, I realized - We Christ followers lead a tough life - filled with challenge and at the same time, loaded with grace. And on the day we are called home, we will be rejoicing with the Christ followers that have gone before us. Those who do not serve our Lord however, may have what appear to be joyful lives - yet have an eternity of...

Nothing.

So I was comforted in that thought...
...and even more deeply saddened that David James Cranford may not be there.

4 comments:

Lynnae Hoff said...

Gosh, that's tough stuff huh? I think so. It's deep but true stuff that's hard to fathom/gut. I just don't know what else to say.... Atleast you tried and did your part.

Rick Bambrick said...

The saddest part is that Dave is teh 2nd person in my life that I tried to help walk in the Truth - only to not know what happened at the end...

~Sharon~ said...

That was a great post Rick. Alot of these same thoughts have been stirring so much within me recently. I look back on the past years that I wasn't "truly" following Christ and wonder now, "How could I have gone so long without Him?... and how could I have forgotten about what my life would have been after death without Him." Reassuring to read your post. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hoping you still have access to this blog. We are old friends of Dave Cranford. He was best man at our wedding. I am wondering if the David Cranford you are referring to is our old friend. I am hoping it isn't. He was married to Camille at one time, born in France, lived in Nevada when younger. He flew helicopters in the Marine Corps and he was quite tall. Most of all he had a great sense of humor. Is this the David you knew? What happened to him. I can provide pictures of the David I am looking for.

Stephanie Garrelts
sgarrelts@gmail.com