Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day Dinner 2009

This year - the economy what it is - Dawn and I agreed to have a quiet dinner at home instead of dropping $100's at a restaurant (remember last year...)


Anyway - Ashley was going to join us as Garhett was at the "Anti-Valentine's Day Concert" at the HUB for RevolutionX. Now, what to make - you know it is the husband's job to make the Valentine's Day dinner... I decided on Filet Mignon, cold raised Lobster tail, prawns and haricots verts (fancy string beans) with a spinach and strawberry salad, chilled 'apricot' sparkling cider, clarified/drawn butter and a fancy desert. It literally took me less than 30 minutes to make everything.
(um, I set the table - so no commentary from Miss Manners about the placement of the glasses or flatware...)

Here is what it looked like:

Hungry yet? Just wait... The dessert:

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with creme fraiche coated strawberries in a cured brandy/pure vanilla sauce lightly dusted with fresh ground cinnamon and an even lighter dusting of powdered chocolate, drizzled with dark chocolate and strawberry sauces, topped with fresh banana, strawberry and the final touch, mini marshmallows! I call it an 'adult' banana split!

Dawn LOVED it - and now Ashley tells me she really likes lobster (bad move dad...). Best part - The whole meal, Dinner for 3, plus beverages and dessert, all under $50! (props to Ralphs, double coupons - j/k)
Ok gentlemen - next year... Your turn!

4 comments:

http://alberico.net said...

GOOD JOB!!!

We kind of did the same, I think our Dinner for 2 worked out to be less than $40. I made King Crab Legs, Garlic Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Asparagus and Bruschetta. We split a bottle of Pinot Grigio, though Lori only had 3/4 of one glass. Then for dessert we used our get 2 free small yogurts from Golden Spoon!

It was a great dinner and there's NO way you could duplicate it for the price and we had a nice time and took turns keeping our 7 month old baby company! :)

Rick Bambrick said...

Awesome! I knew you would appreciate it my efforts. I want the recipe for the garlic gorgonzola mashed potatoes - Dawn would LOVE those...

I was going to suggest the free golden spoons for dessert as well - but the coupons are good all this week so we will probably use them Tuesday night.

Thanks for the props!

Lynnae Hoff said...

WOW! I'm impressed. That is one heck of a homemade Valentines Dinner. Now go kiss your kids ( i heard about you!)

Love,
Lynnae

Marie said...

Oh, Rick...Norma made me look at this and now I just wanna beat my husband.
Hey! Don't call the police just yet, he's good. He done me right and if he cooked it would be black beans and rice anyway...gotta love 'em for what they is and not for what they ain't!