Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A must read!


Stop dressing your 6 year old like a Skank by Celia Rivenbark, a mom who hit her breaking point with the shrinking fashions.

I know, I know - a book recommendation from Rick! You've got to be kidding... But seriously. I have read the reviews and searched google to read some of the inside text and seriously - this woman is indeed brave. I feel very much like her in regards to wondering what the heck (she uses much more southern language) is going on in the minds of some parents who buy clothing for their kids - their little kids that say things on them like, "Spank me", "delicious" or "made you look..." - Get serious!

I know it is hard to battle with our daughters on decent, affordable clothing that they will wear - I am just thankful that my daughter is overly modest. She is 12 and still insists on wearing shorts under floor length dresses (a fashion trend that this father insisted upon since pre-school - I mean what type of girl sits "criss-cross applesauce" in a dress... As a culture, we have allowed the objectification of our children, especially our daughters, to go unchecked. Parents are too often afraid of taking a stand. We all, fathers & mothers, need to “man up” and stop this.

Check out this ABC news story on the book. Then decide for yourself.

No comments: